SBL aims to boot very quickly. This is mandatory, for some use cases, e.g., turning on rear-view camera system when a car is started.
Boot performance is designed in every stage of SBL. There are some trade-offs to be considered when one optimizes the boot time.
- Type of boot media (e.g., fast boot media such as eMMC)
- Security features (signing or hashing algorithms, use of hardware acceleration)
- Hardware configuration (processor frequency, memory size, device configuration etc)
- Image size with compression algorithm (e.g. Lz4)
- Generic features (e.g. splash screen, number of boot options)